Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Broad Street Run Training and Lent

The Philadelphia Region has been hit by the third snowiest winter of all time, which has put a serious damper on my ability to get out and run. I wish I could be one of those die hard runners I see churning through ice, sleet,and snow; but at the end of the day, if it is below 35 degrees outside, I'm probably sitting on my couch with a glass of red wine (one of my other favorite R's!) and my dogs watching Netflix instead of braving the elements. All lazy times must end though, and with the arrival of March, my acceptance into another year of the Broad Street Run, (and the tightening of my pants) I've realized it is time to tie up my laces and get back outside. (seriously, is it ever going to stay above 50?)

For those of that you that might not be familiar with the Philadelphia running scene, The Broad Street Run is a 10 mile race run down Broad Street in Philadelphia on the first Sunday in May.  About 40,000 people participate in the race annually, and in the last couple of years, a lottery has been required to select participants due to the high interest level. The race has really become a Philadelphia tradition, and the largest 10 miler in the USA.

This year will be my fourth time running Broad Street, and I am striving for a pretty lofty PR (personal record) this year.  My first time in the race I had never run a 10 miler and finished with a 1:43:43.  I was suffering from some pretty serious back issues (more on that later) and was happy to finish.  My second year I was more mentally and physically prepared for what the race entailed and finished with a 1:30:58 (a significant improvement--though still slightly troubled with back issues).  Last year I was determined to break that time and put in a race I could be proud of and finished with a 1:26:10, which I was extremely pleased with.

This year, my goal is to break 1:25, and preferably hit closer to a 1:21 (almost an 8 minute pace).  I'm more than willing to put in the training time, but am once again suffering from a pretty crippling injury (again--more on that later).  In order to give myself the best possible opportunity to do so, I have decided to do the unthinkable (in my household) and give up drinking, starting around the time of Lent, but carrying forward till the day of the race.  I'll make a few exceptions to this, but I am hoping that the energy gain and weight loss associated with not drinking for 2 months, will help me gain the extra edge necessary.

Starting last weekend (we decided to start Lent a weekend early) my husband and I did two training runs: one on Saturday and one on Sunday, both at slightly over 4 miles, running a 9:17 and 9:05 pace.  We were definitely feeling out of shape and are just attempting to build back some endurance currently.  For the first time, we were able to use the new Chester Valley Trail between Chesterbrook and Malvern.  The trail is nice and flat and was clear and had been treated for snow.  We will definitely be using this again and are thrilled about this new addition to our running routine.  We're hoping to get in a week night run this week (can not WAIT for daylight savings time this weekend) and are planning on bumping up to 5 miles this weekend.

2 months EXACTLY till Broad Street! Enjoying a Shamrock Shake for my Fat Tuesday treat tonight!

**Note 1.  I want to mention: No, I am not an alcoholic.  I do not drink every night, and I will not have the shakes from giving up booze for a couple of months.  When I say I am giving up drinking, I am referring to the fact that my husband and I drink socially with our friends a couple of times a month, or enjoy a bottle of red wine on Friday (or maybe Tuesday?) night.  This will not be the running form of AA, simply an extended Lenten Resolution that I am hoping will provide me with that little extra endurance in mile 8.
**Note 2.  I am 100% Irish American and I will be having a couple of drinks on St. Paddy's Day.  Sometimes exceptions must be made in the name of green beer and Irish tradition.
**Note 3.  I'll see everyone at Xfinity Live post-race for a couple of beers to celebrate my new PR and to compare race times.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment