Wednesday, March 19, 2014

My Book Review Rating System

It occurred to me that if I'm going to be rating books I should provide a little more information on how I select my ratings, and give examples of books that fall into these ratings.  This way, you can get a feel for what kind of books I like or don't like, and if my reviews might be helpful to your personal reading tastes.

0 Stars: You won't actually see this rating from me, because this is what I would give a book I would refuse to pick up and not even TRY to read.  Examples: anything horror or zombie related.

1 Star: These are the kind of books that I try to read, but end up not being able to finish it (and not finishing a book means I REALLY DO NOT LIKE IT  because I hate when people, myself included, don't finish books). I would absolutely not suggest this to a friend. Examples: The third book in the Fifty Shades of Grey series. (Actually all of them, all of them are 1's in my mind.) I hated the first two, but at least tried to get through the series, but by the third one it was so ridiculous and awful, that I couldn't even skim through it like I did the first two. (I only kept reading because everyone else seemed to like them so much, I though if I kept going I'd figure it out) Seriously people, how did THAT series become so popular.

2 Stars: These are books that I at least managed to finish, but I really did not enjoy and would not suggest to others to read.  Examples: This would typically be a lot of romance novels that I come across hoping they are "chick lit" and they turn into cheesy romance novels.  (Seriously, there IS a difference!). Sometimes they are books that just strike me as "rushed" or very inaccurate.  Slammed by Colleen Hoover is an example. I was excited to try a book about slam poetry, but it was just NOT well written, or even accurate about high schools, and certainly not how student/teacher relationships work.  I DID NOT like it and would not recommend it, but I did finish it.

3-3.5 Stars: These are books that I consider to be pretty decent books.  I would probably even suggest them to other readers if they are looking for something in that genre.  I might not personally be super impressed, but I can see how they are entertaining or well written, and can often discuss their merit to others.  Examples: The previously mentioned The Book Thief or The Lone Wolf. Also, many classics that I can understand why they are classics, but again would not want to read them in my spare time.

4 stars: This is a pretty big deal book in my world if it makes it to this level. It means I really enjoyed it and could not put it down.  I would probably read this book again, and would definitely suggest it to others.  I felt that I connected with the characters, and sometimes I might even cry at their plights.  Examples: pretty much all of the Jane Green books, Jennifer Weiner books, John Green books, the first Hunger Games book.

5 Stars: For me to give this rating, the book has to actually move me. It has to make me think. It has to make me talk about it to other people. It might make me change my mind on things. I'll probably even do additional reading or research because of this book. I will have an actual reaction to this book, rather than just enjoying it for pleasure reading. If a book hits this level, I'll recommend it and suggest it forever.  Examples: To Kill a Mockingbird, Gone with the Wind, The Art of Racing in the Rain, Eat, Pray, Love,  Born to Run, The Omnivore's Dilemma, The Outliers.

Here is my rating scale with examples.  I tried to provide a description, plus examples of what authors and types of books I like and dislike.  I hope this helps going forward.  I'd love to have some comments and discussions on my book reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment